Ellis Island National Monument
Architect Specified Depot Level Window Restoration
Off premises window & sash replication & restoration
Ellis Island Prior to Restoration
Between 1898 and 1954, some 14 million immigrants entered the United States through the Main Building at Ellis Island. In the 25 years that followed its abandonment, Boring and Tilton's handsome buildings began to deteriorate to noble ruins in the hostile marine environment of New York harbor: By 1979, the deterioration of the roof and windows had resulted in extensive build-up of salts on the interior and in high humidity levels, which would subsequently take two years to mechanically control.
The Ellis Island Restoration Process
A strict restoration of the exterior elevation in the planning process included a conditions' survey and archival research of the building's 410 windows requiring restoration and replication.